Cleanses have become increasingly popular in the past few years. They can be effective for weight loss or they can be a way to reboot your body. There are juice cleanses, supplement cleanses, clean eating cleanses, and a combination of all of those. Some people do cleanses several times a year. There are many different
types of cleanses out there such as the 21 day cleanse, and it may be hard to find one that works for you.
A 21 day cleanse may be what you are looking for if you want to lose a few pounds, feel healthier, or reboot your body. There are many to choose from and it may be overwhelming to decide which one is best. The following 21-day cleanse is a basic one that can work for anyone who is interested in completing a cleanse, and it is not one where you will feel like you are starving yourself. Because you are eating real foods and drinking lots of water, you will feel full and satisfied.
What Is a 21 Day Cleanse?
A 21 day cleanse is where you remove some foods from your diet and add others. Some foods to be avoided are grains—mostly white flour and gluten. In addition, you should avoid processed sugar, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, diet products, and dairy products. What can you eat, then? There are a lot of options! During your 21-day cleanse you will eat lean meats such as turkey, chicken breast, and fish.
You will eat a large amount of fruits and vegetables. You can also eat nuts such as almonds and drink almond or coconut milk. Drink mostly water and herbal tea with no sugar. One of your meals or snacks each day should be a fruit smoothie where you blend fruit like bananas, strawberries, and 100% pure orange juice into a blender.
To recap, here are the guidelines for a basic 21 day cleanse:
What Are the Benefits in Doing a 21 Day Cleanse?
A 21-day cleanse can benefit absolutely anyone. Here are some main benefits of doing a 21 day cleanse.
It will Clean Your Colon
One of the biggest benefits of a 21 day cleanse is that it will clean out your colon. Sometimes waste gets built up in the colon, and the only way it can be cleaned is through a cleanse.
You Will Probably Lose Weight
If you want to lose weight, a cleanse will be a good way to do it. Because you will be eating healthily and eliminating harmful foods from your diet, you will naturally be consuming fewer calories. If you don’t want to lose weight or if you don’t have weight to lose, you will probably maintain your current weight.
You Will Detox Your Body
A 21 day cleanse will naturally eliminate toxins from food and the environment. The clean foods you are giving your body will help with this process.
It Will Help Eliminate Sugar Cravings
Eliminating sugar from your diet may be difficult at first, but once you do it, you will notice that your body does not crave sugar as it may have done before. This is a wonderful perk of going on a 21 day cleanse. If you do crave sugar, eat a piece of fruit and drink plenty of water.
You Will Have More Energy
You will be surprised at how much better you feel when doing a 21 day cleanse. Most people feel a little fatigued at first when their bodies are detoxing from processed food, grains, and sugar. However, after a few days you will probably notice an increase in energy which is a major benefit from a 21-day cleanse.
You Will Think More Clearly
Another benefit to a 21 day cleanse is clearer thinking. Just like energy, this won’t happen right away, but probably around day three or four, you will notice that you are thinking more clearly.
You Will Sleep Better
A great perk of a 21-day cleanse is that you will notice that your sleep is better. You will be able to fall asleep quickly, stay asleep through the night, and wake up feeling refreshed. Who doesn’t want better sleep?
It Will Improve Your Eating Habits
When you are finished with your cleanse, you will notice that you do not crave the foods you used to crave such as sugar and carbs. You have successfully trained your body to thrive on all the nutrients it needs and you will reboot your body which will naturally improve your eating habits.
How to Survive a 21 Day Cleanse
A 21-day cleanse is very doable. Here are ten tips to survive (and thrive!) on your 21 day cleanse.
- 1Complete the Cleanse during a Time Where You Can Focus on ItPrepare to do your cleanse at least a week ahead of time when you can adequately prep for it. Mark it on the calendar. Try to avoid times where there are major celebrations such as holidays and birthdays. That way, you won’t need to avoid temptation. Make the three weeks of the cleanse as stress free as you possibly can.
- 2Find a Buddy to Do the Cleanse with YouHaving the accountability of a partner will help you a lot. You can share recipes, tips, and check in with each other as needed. It is much easier to do a 21 day cleanse with a partner than to do it alone. In addition, tell your family and friends what you are doing, so they can support you.
- 3Mentally PrepareResearch as much as you can about your cleanse. Know what you can and cannot eat during the 21 days. Read success stories of other people who have completed a cleanse. Set your mind to what you want to accomplish and mentally prepare for your 21 day cleanse.
- 4Plan Your Menus and Shop for Food Ahead of TimeOne of the worst things you can do is start the cleanse and just try to “wing it.” That won’t work, and will leave you feeling stressed. At least a week ahead, sit down and look up recipes of what you will eat during your cleanse. Make menus for each day of the week. Don’t forget snacks. Next, go grocery shopping and buy what you need for your cleanse.
- 5Cook in BulkWhen you can, cook in bulk. Make a large pot of vegetable soup that you can eat throughout the week. This will save you time and money. Decide what you want to eat in bulk and cook it all at the beginning of the week.
- 6Keep a JournalDuring your 21 day cleanse, keep a journal of what you are eating and how you are feeling. There will be ups and downs physically and emotionally. Write all of these feelings and experiences down so you can go back and see what worked well for you and what did not.
- 7Take a Multivitamin Every DayWhile you don’t need to spend a bunch of money on supplements, a multivitamin will give you all you need. Most of your vitamins and minerals will come from your food, but supplementing with a multivitamin will help the cleansing process.
- 8Drink Half Your Body Weight in WaterNot in pounds, of course, but in ounces. Take your weight. Divide it by two. Drink that amount of water in ounces per day. Drinking plenty of water will help the cleansing process and it will help keep you feeling full during your 21 day cleanse.
- 9Fill Half of Your Plate with VegetablesA good rule of thumb is to fill half of your plate with vegetables. Include your lean protein in ¼ of your plate, and fruits in the other ¼. This ratio will be the most effective for you to get the most out of your 21 day cleanse.
- 10Stay PositiveOne of the best ways you can survive the 21 day cleanse is to stay positive. Remember, it’s only 21 days. You can do anything for 21 days. Don’t give up, and if you feel like giving up, remind yourself why you started. Try your best to remember that you can go back to your normal eating habits when you are finished if you choose to. Stay positive during this process.
As you can see, the 21 day cleanse can be beneficial in many different ways for anyone. You will be gaining so much energy and clarity from adding a 21 day cleanse to your lifestyle. When you are finished, ask yourself what you want to add back into your diet. Most people will want to add grains and dairy, and that is fine, but add them back slowly. For example, eat a bowl of oatmeal one day and see how your body reacts to it. Drink a glass of milk the next day and see how your body responds. Don’t bombard your body with foods that you have eliminated for the past 21 days.
If you have been looking to lose weight or jump start healthy eating, then a 21 day cleanse is just what you need. Remember the ten tips to help you, grab a buddy, and plan! You have nothing to lose except weight.